General Good Numeracy Practice
- Use proper Mathematical language
- When referring to decimals say “three point one four” rather than “three point fourteen“
- Read numbers out in full, so say three thousand four hundred rather than three, four, zero, zero.
Mickey Mouse Calculators
- Encourage the use of scientific calculators eg CASIO rather than basic calculators
- Use of BIDMAS in calculations
Not Just the Answer Please!
- Pupils should show their working out in the main body of their work and identify answer clearly.
- Pupils as far as possible should complete calculations without the use of a calculator.
- If a calculator is used – the calculation should also be written down.
Teach Someone Else
- If pupils can explain their calculations to their parents or their friends this helps understanding
- Top Marks: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/
- Corbett Maths: https://corbettmaths.com/contents/